Back-to-School: We had an outstanding evening highlighted by the teacher presentations. The teachers’ thoroughness and intentionality was truly appreciated. I also want to acknowledge our assistant principals Carole Nevarez and Aaron Harkey, counselors Athena Sims and Kristi Morris, Performing Arts technology consultant, Radu Azdril, representatives from ASB Student Council, PTSA and English Learner Advisory Committee (ELAC), interpreters, office staff, and maintenance staff. I also want to thank our PTSA Hospitality Committee and ELAC Board for the delicious snacks and refreshments.
- Counseling Office: Complete and submit the 8th Grade Packet; verification of address, emergency card, and technology form
- Progress Reports: Will be mailed home the first week of October; will include grades and citizenship marks for all classes
- Attendance: Please be punctual to school; regular start (8:30); late start (9:30)
- Student Handbook: Our updated Student Handbook is now available on our website at http://lacolina.sbunified.org. This is where you will find school policies and procedures, bell schedules, the district dress code, after school sports information, cafeteria information, P.E. information, and much more!
PTSA: PTSA is promoting two important drives; Annual Fundraiser and PTSA membership. The annual fundraiser will provide the funds for the PTSA Wish List. The budget is $60,000 with a focus on educational technology (See website). The targeted donation amount is $250, but all donations are welcome and appreciated. The PTSA membership fees help to support site, district, and state operations and initiatives. Both adult and child membership fees are $8.
School Involvement: I want to encourage you to get involved in our school. Below, I’ve listed several of the key committees:
- Parent-Teacher-Student Association (PTSA; meeting 2nd Wednesday, 7:00, library); exception is the November meeting.
- English Learner Advisory Committee (ELAC; meeting 2nd Wednesday, 5:45, library); exception is the November meeting.
- Staff & Special Education Parent Advisory Committee (SSEPAC; quarterly meetings, first meeting is 10-13-15. For additional information see Carole Nevarez (assistant principal)
State of our Schools Presentation: Thursday, October 1, 2015
Santa Barbara Unified School District's Superintendent, Dave Cash, will deliver our district's annual STATE OF OUR SCHOOLS, an overview of today's education issues, on Thursday, October 1. Tickets are $45. Breakfast begins at 7:30 am. For reservations, contact Santa Barbara Education Foundation at (805) 284-9125 or email@example.com. Seating is limited.
Tutorial Centers: Help for all La Colina students
- Lunchtime: Room 308, Ms. Womack, Monday-Friday
- After-School: Library, Ms. Sillars, Monday-Thursday
- See Mr. Kaufmann (PE teacher, site coordinator)
- Current sports: girls soccer and boys basketball
Mark Your Calendar:
9-21 After School Sports (start)
9-23 Club Day: sign-ups (lunchtime)
9-28 Ability Day (PE (7) classes, presenter: Jennifer Griffin; Alpha Resource Center)
9-29 Superintendent visit (Dr. Cash, 8:30); Ability Day (PE (8) classes, presenter (Jennifer Griffin; Alpha Resource Center); Grade 7 Elections Assembly (8:30, auditorium)
10-1 ELAC meeting (6:00, library, training with Dr. Jackie Mora, Director of EL)
10-9 Assistant Superintendent of Secondary Education visit (Dr. Drati, 10:00)
10-13 La Colina Secondary Special Education Advisory Committee Meeting (6:00 pm., Staff Lounge)
District Fast Facts: Http://www.sbunified.org/districtwp/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/Fast_Facts.pdf