Principal’s Message: David L. Ortiz
California Assessment of Student Performance and Progress (CAASPP): Included in this initiative is the state-mandated test, Smarter Balanced Assessment Consortium (SBAC). The primary focus of the SBAC is to assess student growth in English Language Arts and mathematics. In conversation with your child, remember to reinforce that these scores are only one gauge of their progress. Also, that comparisons should not be made from the previous STAR test. If you need assistance understanding your child’s results, please contact their counselor or assistant principal. Our teachers, counselors, and administrators will continue to work diligently to plan, organize, and implement a rigorous, relevant, and engaging instructional program.
Single Plan for Student Achievement (SPSA): The Single Plan for Student Achievement (SPSA) is a plan of actions to raise the academic performance of all students. Our School Site Council (SSC) has approved me as the primary author of the SPSA, and the assistant principals, Carole Nevarez and Aaron Harkey as my designees. Last year’s data projects a spectrum of findings; successes and concerns. Suffice to say, our work as a school community remains. It is imperative that individually and as a team, we do our best to optimize each student’s success. The School Site Council (SSC) oversees the Single Plan for Student Achievement (SPSA) and categorical funding. The committee will be meeting each Friday morning pending submission of the final SPSA; October 30.
- Attendance: Please be punctual to school; regular start (8:30); late start (9:30).
- Student Handbook: Our updated Student Handbook is now available on our website at http://lacolina.sbunified.org. This is where you will find school policies and procedures, bell schedules, the district dress code, after school sports information, cafeteria information, P.E. information, and much more.
- Private Neighborhoods: Do not drive into the adjacent private streets (Calle Cita, Harrold Ave., Carol Ln. and La Barbara Wy.). Access is only permitted via permission from a resident.
PTSA: The next meeting is this Wednesday, October 14, 7:00 p.m. in the library. The parent program (7:30) will be a presentation on NEO (online communication system).
School Involvement: I want to encourage you to get involved in our school. Below, I’ve listed several of the key committees:
- Parent-Teacher-Student Association (PTSA; meeting 2nd Wednesday, 7:00, library); exception is the November meeting; next meeting: 10-14-15.
- English Learner Advisory Committee (ELAC; meeting 2nd Wednesday, 5:45, library); exception is the November meeting; next meeting: Thursday, 11-12-15.
- Staff/Special Education Parent Advisory Committee (SSEPAC; quarterly meetings, first meeting is 10-13-15. For additional information see Carole Nevarez (assistant principal)
Tutorial Centers: Help for all La Colina students
- Lunchtime: Room 308, Ms. Womack, Monday-Thursday
- After-School: Library, Ms. Sillars, Monday-Thursday
- See Mr. Kaufmann (PE teacher, site coordinator)
- Current sports: girls soccer and boys basketball
- Catarina Rizzo (7): Won 7th grade overall in the Fighting Back Red Ribbon Contest. Her artwork will be featured in this year’s calendar. Catarina has been invited to attend a reception Sunday, October 18, 12:00-1:00 at the SB Courthouse.
Mark Your Calendar:
10-13 Site Staff Special Education Parent Advisory Committee Meeting (6:00 pm., Staff Lounge)
10-14 PTSA (7:00 association meeting, 7:30 parent meeting: NEO, library)
10-15 Earthquake drill (10:19)
10-16 50’s Day (ASB sponsor)
10-21 Career Day
10-27 Anti-Bully Assembly (8:30, grade 7, presenter: Aija Mayrock)
10-29 Family Ultimate Science Exploration Night (FUSE, 6:00 , cafe & science rooms)
10-30 Halloween Day; Single Plan for Student Achievement: due
District Website: http://www.sbunified.org/
District e-News Sign-up Page (English):
District e-News Sign-up Page (Spanish): http://www.sbunified.org/espanol/suscribase-a-nuestro-boletin-informativo/
District Fast Facts: Http://www.sbunified.org/districtwp/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/Fast_Facts.pdf
La Colina Website: http://www.lacolina.sbunified.org/